When I mentioned to some friends that I was looking for a hotel in Sydney, several recommended the YHA on The Rocks. I was a bit hesitant when I saw it was a hostel, but after seeing how much a hotel room in Sydney goes for, I decided to give it a try. I’m not the most experienced hostel stayer, but this was the nicest one I’ve every stayed in.
Here’s what I liked:
- The hostel had character, it was built on a dig site and that made for the theme of the public areas.
- Rooms were clean, spacious and well designed
- Luggage lockers had power outlets so you charge devices while you were out.
- Beds had individual lights with power outlets, which also served as a nice little shelf for one or two personal items
- Great location, not to far from Circular Quay, Downtown or Darling Harbor.
- Great view of Sydney Opera House
- Food was cheap
There was one thing I didn’t like about the hostel, and it’s not insurmountable. It’s noisy. I swear you could hear every step people made on the staircases and with some large youth groups, there were a few loud mornings. So bring earplugs. Otherwise, I would absolutely stay here again.